More Top Stories:

Felony Charges Filed Against Counter-protester in Charlottesville

Antifa showed up at the August 11-12 “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, brandishing baseball bats and pepper spray, determined to disrupt the rally scheduled to protest the removal of a statue of Confederate General Robert E. Lee. Predictably, violence occurred, resulting in several injuries, and even one death — a young woman named Heather Heyer — when a man drove his car into a crowd of people protesting the presence of the Unite the Right group.

After the incident, President Donald Trump caused a national stir when he stated the obvious: What had happened was an “egregious display of hatred, bigotry and violence on many sides.”

Now, a young black man, DeAndre Harris, who was beaten with a metal pipe and wooden boards by at least six white men inside a parking garage, has now been charged himself with the malicious wounding of Harold Ray Crews, chairman of the North Carolina chapter of the League of the South. From the beginning, two of the men charged with beating Harris —- Alex Michael Ramos of Georgia and Daniel Borden of Ohio — argued that it was Harris who instigated the physical confrontation.

The League of the South’s public relations officer, Brad Griffin, said that his group obtained an arrest warrant after getting “sick of waiting” for the police to act on the evidence that they had provided them.

Response from the Charlottesville police is contradictory. On one hand, the police issued this statement: “Charges likely would not have been filed had the Charlottesville Police Department been allowed to follow the normal investigative procedures when an individual makes a criminal complaint. Instead, Mr. Crews was allowed to exploit the judicial system by bypassing CPD and presenting incomplete and misleading evidence directly to a magistrate judge who in turn issued the warrant for Mr. Harris’ arrest without a proper investigation.”

Yet, the police also said, “The victim went to the Magistrate’s offices, presented the facts of what occurred and attempted to obtain the warrant. The magistrate requested that a detective respond and verify these facts. A Charlottesville Police detective did respond, verified the facts and a warrant for Unlawful Wounding was issued.”

A cursory review of the police statement would seem to indicate that some sort of investigation was completed and the facts were verified, yet the police department stated that Harris’ arrest was the result of something less than a “proper investigation.”

Harris’ attorney, S. Lee Merritt, accused Crews of leading a campaign to “manipulate the Charlottesville judiciary and further victimize Harris.” Harris obtained a broken wrist and a head wound that required ten staples to close. Merritt admitted that Harris “participated in some of the jeering of the white supremacists in his city, letting them know they were not welcome there, but he did not instigate any physical assault. That was done by the men carrying blunt objects and weapons.”

Crews and other witnesses offer a different version of events. They argue that Harris and a friend were involved

 if the watchman sees the sword coming and does not blow the trumpet, and the people are not warned, and the sword comes and takes any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood I will require at the watchman’s hand.


Opinions posted on are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.
%d bloggers like this: